Last year I joined a state music program called the Utah Music Federation Association. It is a great program that sponsors two music festivals a year. They do a solo festival in the Spring (April) and a Duet Festival in the Fall (October). I tested it out last Spring and took 4 students to the festival. They were required to learn one required piece of music and one Classical piece they were able to chose. The music had to be memorized and then they performed in front of 3 judges (all local piano teachers). They are graded on about 8 or 10 factors. It is not a competition but a chance for students to master some great music and then perform it for helpful feedback. They get a rating from poor to superior. Once they earn 4 superiors they earn a Gold Cup. It takes a few years of participating to earn one. Its a fun opportunity that can be very helpful in motivating and challenging students to progress and grow.
I plan to participate again this April if there is an interest. I will take 8 or 10 dedicated students. They must committ to practicing lots and being prepared to perform well at the competition. There is a small fee - $8.50 per student as well as the cost of the music of necessary.
Please let me know by the end of the week if this is something you think your student would like to do.
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Music Federation - 2 of 3 Posts
Posted by Valerie: at 10:01 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
I think Gretchen would like to particpate again this year!
Dallin isn't so sure, but I think I want him to do it anyway--what do you think? Do you only have a certain number that you can have compete?
Post a Comment